Blue Springs’ history is tied to the migration of settlers on their westward journey. Pioneers found the area to be an ideal stopover due to the abundance of cool, clean water from a spring of the Little Blue River - hence the name Blue Springs. The presence of water and a need for pioneer supplies led to the construction of a grist mill and permanent settlement at the site of the City’s Burrus Old Mill Park, on Woods Chapel Road.
The community of Blue Springs was organized as part of Jackson County in 1827 and became the fourth settlement in the county, predating Kansas City, Missouri. An early settler, Franklin Smith, arrived in Blue Springs from Virginia in 1838 and became a leading figure in the community’s development. He established the first post office in 1845, naming it after the well-known springs.
The settlement continued to grow near the springs until 1878, when the Chicago and Alton Railroad announced plans to build a station about one mile east of the original settlement. To take advantage of the commerce the railroad would bring, the town moved its center to the site of the new station and continued its development as a rural trading center.
In 1970, Blue Springs had a population of 6,779. Today, Blue Springs continues to be a growing city with a population of nearly 55,000 residents.
The above information came from: http://www.bluespringsgov.com/index.asp?nid=60
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment